So I asked Ming what she wanted to eat – she said “Kurma, puhlease?” I replied: “This is what you get.” #radioheadpun.
Puns aside, we enjoyed this recipe from My Heart Beets.
The kurma was creamy and full of flavour due to the spices and cashew puree.
Pressure cooker is great for recipes like this – because the chicken gets cooked evenly and tender. It also absorbs all the flavours. We omitted raisins because we don’t really fancy them.
For videos and step-by-step process, check out our Instagram post here.
Chicken kurma [Pressure cooker recipe]Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Pressure cooker recipe for chicken kurma from My Heart Beets.
- Onion tomato mixture
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1-inch ginger, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
- Creamy cashew sauce
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1/42 cup water
- Dry spices
1.5 tsp salt, adjust to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp ground cardamom (or cardamom seeds)
- Main stuff
3 tbsp ghee/oil/butter
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup raisins (optional)
900g chicken pieces
1 cup water
Cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- Make onion tomato mixture
- Blend all the “Onion Tomato Mixture” ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add a bit of water if needed to aid the process. Set aside.
- Make cashew paste
- Blend 1/4 cup of cashew nuts and 1/2 cup of water in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare cashew nuts and raisin garnish
- Set pressure cooker to BAKE MODE. Add ghee and saute 1/4 cup of cashew nuts and raisins until cashews are roasted and brown. Set aside for garnish.
- Pressure cook
- Add cumin seeds into pressure cooker pot. Once they begin to brown, add the “Onion Tomato Mixture”. Stir fry for about 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Add the dry spices and stir. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Add 1 cup of water.
- Seal and pressure cook for 15 minutes (chicken mode for my model). Release pressure immediately when done.
- Change to BAKE or SAUTE MODE, add blended cashew sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish wit roasted cashew nuts, raisins and cilantro. Enjoy!