Turmeric chicken is one of our favourite dishes to cook for an easy weeknight meal.
It’s really simple:
1. Marinate chicken for 30 minutes
2. Place in oven or pressure cooker
In fact, this is one of the first meals we learned to cook when we bought our pressure cooker many years ago.
One recipe – two ways
For this post, we cooked using two methods – one with the pressure cooker and the other with the halogen oven.
With the pressure cooker, you’ll get super tender and moist chicken, as the juices are locked inside during the cooking process. As for the halogen oven, you’ll get crisper and crunchier skin (that’s similar to fried chicken).
While the meat is not as moist as the one cooked in the pressure cooker, it was still tender and flavourful. Both are delicious!
The ever versatile turmeric
Turmeric powder is an incredibly versatile spice with many nutritious benefits and is commonly used in Asian cooking. It is also very flavourful on its own.
Hence, we kept the recipe simple: turmeric and salt are really all you need, but we added a pinch of paprika and pepper for some heat. Feel free to add other spices you like.
Finally, we coat the chicken with sesame oil and olive oil for fragrance and to help cook the meat.
For something similar, check out our Ayam Goreng Kunyit (Turmeric Fried Chicken) recipe, which uses turmeric as the main spice. This is a popular Malay dish that you can find at most stalls and restaurants.
Follow us on Instagram
For more recipes and food adventures, follow us on Instagram here.
Also, check out our Turmeric Chicken IG reel below.
Key steps in pictures
Easy Turmeric Chicken [Recipe]Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Chinese, Malay, WesternDifficulty: Easy
Her’es our super simple but delicious turmeric chicken.
2 whole chicken legs
1 tsp turmeric powder
pinch of paprika powder
1/2 tsp of salt
dash of white pepper
1 tsp of sesame oil
1/2 tsp of olive oil
- Marinate chicken
- Clean chicken legs and pat dry. Cut a few slits along the meat.
- Rub chicken with spices. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- For halogen oven
- Place chicken legs in the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 180°C. You may line the bottom of the oven with aluminium foil to collect the juices.
- After 20 minutes, you may flip the chicken to cook the underside for 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve. You may glaze the chicken with the collected juice.
- For pressure cooker
- Place chicken legs in the pressure cooker. Using bake mode, cook for 18 minutes.
- Remove immediately when done and serve.