Chinese New Year is just around the corner! This dish seems apt for the Lunar New Year ‘coz it’s so ang ang (red, red – in Hokkien)!
We love this recipe by Maangchi for the combination of deep-fried tofu with sticky sauce made of gochujang, rice syrup and ketchup.
First we deep fry the tofu to get the nice crunchy texture. Then we coat it with the sauce. Imagine Korean fried chicken with its spicy, sweet sticky sauce, but with tofu.
It’s super yummy! We couldn’t find rice syrup and used honey but it still turned out just as delicious!
* We loved Maangchi’s tips of coating the tofu with potato starch by shaking them together in a bag.
* Double-fry tofu to get the real crunchy skin.
* Adjust the sauce for your preferred level of spiciness and sweetness.
Follow us on Instagram
Check out our post on Instagram for videos and step-by-step process for this dish. Follow us there for the latest recipes and food reviews.
Key Steps in Pictures
Korean sweet spicy tofu (두부강정) RECIPECourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: KoreanDifficulty: Easy
Crunchy tofu in sweet, spicy and sticky sauce
2 cups vegetable oil
400g firm tofu
1/4 cup potato starch
1 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup rice syrup (or honey as substitute)
3 tbsp gochujang paste
- Prepare tofu
- Cut tofu into 1×1.5 inch pieces. Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Place tofu in a plastic bag and add the potato starch. Seal the bag and gently shake until tofu is evenly coated with the starch.
- Remove the tofu from the bag and place on a cutting board lined with plastic. Ensure each piece is not touching each other.
- Fry tofu
- Heat up cooking oil in skillet over high heat. When it is hot (oil should start bubbling when you put a tofu piece into the oil), reduce to medium heat and fry the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side until light brown and crisp. Remove and place on a strainer to remove excess oil.
- Make sauce
- In another skillet, add the ketchup, rice syrup and gochujang paste. Turn on the stove to low heat, and gently stir until sauce is bubbling. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Let’s finish
- Reheat the skillet with the oil to high heat, and fry the tofu again for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove and place on the strainer again.
- Heat up the sauce in the skillet over low heat. When the sauce begins bubbling, add the tofu. Gently mix well until each tofu is coated. Remove and garnish with some pumpkin seeds. Serve.