We love stir-fry veggies! Here’s a great all-in-one veggie dish that’s perfect for vegetarians, and those suffering from irritable bowl syndrome (IBS) as well.
We love the usual stir-fry with garlic – but it is high in fructan, which can lead to IBS symptoms.
Hence, we’ve replaced garlic with ginger (yummy!) – which is a staple for some Chinese-style vegetarian restaurants which avoid garlic and onions entirely.
Carrots provide natural sweetness, nutrients and colour, while tofu is a perfect addition for protein and for a more fuller meal. This is a great all-in-one dish that you can have with white rice.
For those wondering what FODMAP is all about, check out the monashfoodmap.com. It’s basically a diet developed by researcher at Monash University to help those suffering with IBS to avoid certain triggering food and ingredients.
* For this recipe, we only use ginger and salt as the base seasoning. However, we occasionally add tamari (Japanese gluten-free alternative to soy sauce) as well.
* Apart from choy sum, we’ve also cooked this with bok choy and broccoli.
* You can add babycorns (also low in FODMAP) to the dish, or any other veggies that you like (that meets your personal diet preference) if you are not on a low-fodmap diet.
* We sometimes also add garlic oil to our dish for a bit of the garlicky fragrance.
Low-FODMAP Stir-fry choy sum with carrots and tofu [RECIPE]Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
Super easy Chinese stir-fry veggies suitable for those on a low FODMAP diet.
500g choy sum, washed and cut to bitesize pieces
1 carrot, sliced
1 soft traditional tofu block (300g), cut into cubes
2-inch ginger, minced
1/4 cup water
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
- Heat up cooking oil in wok over medium high heat. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and saute the minced ginger until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and fry until slightly soft.
- Add the stem parts of choy sum and fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the leafy parts and stir-fry until they turn colour. Add water if needed. Also, add salt or pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the tofu and cook for about 1 minute. Serve!