Here’s a simple and delicious tofu dish to cook up for a weeknight dinner.
Every household probably has their own version of this comfort food.
Important steps for this dish include marinating the minced meat first, and having enough gravy to go with rice.
For this particular round, we cooked ours with oyster mushroom (you may use any mushrooms you like).
We also added red chillies (without seeds) for a hint of spice and some colour, and a garnish of spring onion at the end. Some like to add oyster sauce for the gravy, but we find ours already tasty as it is.
This dish can be done under 30 minutes. In particular, the delicate tofu goes very well with the mushrooms, with ginger and aromatics providing flavours.
For vegetarians or vegans, just omit the minced meat and add more mushrooms.
Check out our Instagram post here for more videos and pictures.
Tofu with minced meat in gravy [RECIPE]Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: ChineseDifficulty: Easy
Our simple recipe for tofu with minced meat and oyster mushrooms in gravy.
400g tofu block, cut into cubes
150g minced chicken or pork
100g oyster mushroom, cut into strips
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 green onion stalk for garnish
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 shallot, minced
1 red chilli, sliced thinly with seeds removed
1-inch ginger, julienned
- Minced meat marinade
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water slurry
- Mix minced meat with the marinade ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in a skillet. Saute garlic, shallot, red chilli and ginger until fragrant.
- Add the minced meat. Fry until the meat is no longer pink. Use the spatula/turner to break up the minced meat.
- Add the oyster mushrooms. Fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt and water. Mix well. Adjust taste if necessary.
- Add tofu and mix well.
- Finally, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of cornstarch slurry to thicken gravy.
- Garnish with cut scallion and serve.