Who loves begedil?
These potato fritters are one of our favourite dishes to eat at Nasi Campur stalls.
Begedil (or perkedel in Indonesia) is said to be adapted from Dutch frikadel meat patties – before it made its way from Java to Malaya (and into our tummies)!
Compared to the Dutch patties, mashed potatoes is the main ingredient of begedil. Other key ingredients include minced beef, coriander leaves, and fried shallots.
Homecooked begedil is way better than what you find outside, as you can be generous with the fillings. We like ours with lots of minced beef, fried shallots and coriander leaves. Yums!
Begedil is a key component of Soto Ayam (find the recipe here), but can also be eaten on its own with rice.
Begedil is savoury with bits of juicy minced beef and fragrance from the fried shallots, chilli and coriander leaves.
Learn how to cook these delicious potato fritters with our recipe.
* We marinade and fry the minced beef with shallots first so it’s already flavourful on its own.
* Some traditional recipes call for potatoes to be fried, but we prefer boiling them.
* Mash the potatoes when they are still warm. Finally, mix them with all the ingredients.
* As the beef is already cooked, you can taste the mixture and make adjustments to the flavours.
* After making patties, chill them in the fridge for at least an hour. This is to ensure patties are completely dried up, and do not break apart during the frying process.
* Fry on one side until golden brown for 2-3 minutes, before flipping it. Do not stir it.
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Instagram here for the latest food recipes and adventures. Check out the video below as well.
How about Tauhu Begedil?
We also cooked Tauhu Begedil, which is another popular variation of Begedil Daging. It is essentially begedil daging stuffed in crispy fried tofu puffs.
While it slightly different with the tofu puffs provided some crunchy, crispy texture – it is equally as delicious and satisfying. We served that with our homemade sambal kicap.
Check out the recipe below:
Key Steps in Pictures
Begedil daging [Recipe]Course: Beef, Indonesian, Indonesian Recipes, Malay, Malay Recipes, Recipes, Side Dish Recipes
Recipe to make delicious homemade begedil (potato fritters) with generous filling of minced beef, coriander leaves and fried shallots. This recipe makes about 35 patties.
600g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 5 medium potatoes)
200g minced beef
- Beef marinade
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
- Other ingredients
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 tbsp crispy fried shallots
1 red chilli, diced and seeds removed
10g of coriander, chopped
2 tsp pepper
1.5 tsp salt or adjust to taste
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
- Cook minced beef
- Mix the minced beef with the marinade ingredients.
- Heat up 1-2 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan. Sauté the shallots for 1 minute, and add the minced beef.
- Fry until minced beef is cooked. Use spatula to break the meat apart.
- Cook potatoes
- Place potatoes in a pot of water and add 2 tbsp of salt. Bring water to boil, cover with lid and set to medium heat. Boil potatoes until they have softened (15-20 minutes).
- Drain potatoes. While the potatoes are still warm, mash them with a potato masher.
- Make patties
- In a bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, minced beef, cut chilli, coriander, fried shallots, salt and pepper. Taste, and add salt and pepper if necessary. Then add corn starch.
- Once ingredients are well-mixed, shape them into patties.
- If possible, place patties in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour (or 2 hours at room temperature). This is to completely dry up the patties and ensure they do not break apart during the frying process.
TIP: If you’re making begedil for soto ayam, it’s best to make the patties the day before.
- It’s fry time!
- Heat up cooking oil in a pan. When oil is hot enough, reduce flame to medium heat. Oil should be enough to shallow-fry the patties.
- Dip patties into a bowl of beaten egg, and then place them into the pan.
- Fry patties on one side until golden brown for 2-3 minutes (do not stir them, or you’ll break them apart). Once it is done, flip patties to cook the other side for 2-3 minutes.
- Once done, remove and place on a strainer to remove excess oil. Serve!