One of the dishes that we’ve always wanted to prepare at home is pumpkin soup.
We love, love, love this soup, but unfortunately, the versions we have eaten at many restaurants contain cream.
So, when a good friend made delicious pumpkin carrot soup without cream, we got some tips from her as well as The Petite Cook’s recipe which we followed with minor tweaks of our own. It was da bomb!!
The result is a soup that is so creamy with a full flavour kick from the spices in each mouthful. Think Western-style soup with Asian flavours. Yums.
The best part? Your kitchen and dining room will smell like Christmas midway through cooking. What’s not to like about that?
Our version uses the stovetop to prepare the ingredients and extract the flavour, so be prepared to spend a longer time cutting and chopping the ingredients into smaller pieces so it cooks easily.
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Check out our Instagram post here for more pictures and step-by-step videos.
Creamy vegan pumpkin soup [Recipe]Course: Lunch, Dinner, BreakfastCuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Italian, WesternDifficulty: Easy
Creamy vegan pumpkin soup with no cream.
800 pumpkin, chopped into small cubes
3 carrots, chopped into small cubes
1 large white onion, chopped
2 sprigs of fresh thyme, stems only
1 litre hot vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 tsp old ginger, finely minced (optional)
Fresh coriander leaves (for garnish)
Toasted sunflower seeds (for garnish)
- Spice mix
½ tsp paprika powder
¼ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp ground coriander/ coriander seeds
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Pinch of ground cardamom
A dash of Italian herbs seasoning
- Mix all the spices and seeds in a bowl and set them aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in ginger, onion, carrots and pumpkin, followed by the thyme and spice mix.
- Sauté for 10 mins or until the vegetables begin to soften, then season to taste. Note that the vegetables should not be seasoned with too much salt as the salt will come from the vegetable stock later on. We normally put about a teaspoon of salt or less at this point.
- Pour the vegetable stock in and simmer for 15 mins. Turn off the heat and set aside for it to cool for about an hour or so.
- Transfer small portions to a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Serve the bowl of pumpkin soup with coriander leaves and sunflower seeds (optional).