Happy New Year! We started our Instagram account last year – which really motivated us to try more new makan places.
Here’s our 9 NEW restaurants and cafes that opened in 2019. By no means this is a comprehensive list – just new places we really enjoyed during our visits last year. Also, the list is not in any order of preference and includes new branches.
1. Fish Brothers – Two brothers moved from Kepong to open this seafood spot in Kayu Ara. Favourite dishes: three-day make-up pork belly, Nyanyang lala queen and Drunk Fish in Bathtub. A lot more interesting dishes to warrant a re-visit. Read our full review here.
Address: 1-19 Glomac Centro, Lorong Masjid 1, Kampung Sungai Kayu Ara, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Phone: 012-503 0119
Hours: 11.30am-3pm, 5.30pm-10.30pm Daily
2. Tapestry [pork-free] – A beautifully done-up establishment with amazing food to match. The Rise & Shine Egg Drop is the must-order – perfectly creamy and butter scrambled eggs in between soft buns, as well as the Eggs Ben. Read our full review here.
Address: 28, Jalan Kamunting, Chow Kit, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Hours: Monday-Tuesday, 8am-4pm
Wednesday-Friday, 8am-4pm, 6.30pm-10.30pm
Saturday-Sunday, 8am-5.30pm. 6.30pm-10.30pm
Phone: 03-7622 8720
3. Playte [pork-free] – Helmed by three Le Cordon Blue-trained chefs, Playte plays with contemporary and European cooking techniques to showcase local ingredients . e.g. Bario rice, jicama. We enjoyed the Ox Tongue and Chicken.
Address: G.01, Republik, Jalan Medan Setia, Bukit Damansara, 50490 Kuala Lumpur
Hours: 11.30am-3pm, 6.30pm-11pm
Closed on Sundays
Phone: 011-2698 5562
4. Kopikumy [pork-free] – Farm-to-table coffee run by Bandung natives in their cozy, leafy backyard home in Taman Sri Hartamas. What’s not to love?
Address: Jalan Sri Hartamas 1, Taman Sri Hartamas, 50490 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Hours: 8am-7pm, Closed on Mondays
Phone: 019-279 7122
5. Dáo Damansara Jaya [pork-free] – With a 25-year recipe hailing from Bercham, Ipoh, Dáo’s taufufa is silky smooth and best enjoyed warm in your choice of brown, white or ginger syrup. Simple but delicious!
Address: 21, Jalan SS 22/19, Damansara Utama, 47400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Hours: 12pm-10pm, Closed on Wednesdays
Phone: 018-662 3488
6. Underscore Coffee [pork-free] – Underscore offers great house and seasonal coffee blends in a quiet part of Ara Damansara. Food and baked godos are available here too – we enjoyed the lemon meringue tart and truffle oil baked eggs.
Address: 31, Jalan PJU 1a/20a, Ara Damansara, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Hours: Open daily 8am-6pm
Phone: 03-7499 0011
7. Da Shi Xiong @ Kedai Kopi Yun Kei – Operating only at night in Section 17, the master personally sources his produce daily to ensure the freshest fish is put on the table. Every fish is immaculately steamed with the right amount of Chinese wine, Bentong ginger and soy sauce. The steamed eggs is also a must-order.
Address: Kedai Kopi Yun Kei, 1270-1271, Jalan 17/31, Seksyen 17, 46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Hours: 5pm-9pm, Closed on Mondays
Phone: 014-926 6629
8. Yung Kee Beef Noodles – A new branch in Damansara Perdana (from the original in Pudu) means we get to enjoy delicious beef noodles closer to home. We love the broth as it has a nice BKT-ish herbally taste while the dry version comes in sweet-savoury sauce topped with peanuts. Beef is excellent.
Address: 16-1, Jalan PJU 8/5e, Damansara Perdana, 47820 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Hours: Monday-Thursday, 10am-9pm
Phone: 03-7491 7474
9. Damansara Venicia [halal] – An offshoot (in Damansara Perdana) of the popular Bangsar Venicia, we enjoyed the crabs, salted egg sotong, sambal petai prawns and Nyonya paku-pakis.
Address: 6-1, Jalan PJU 8/5c, Damansara Perdana, 47820 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Hours: Daily 11am-3pm, 5pm-10pm
(except 11am-3pm only for Tuesdays)
Phone: 03-7725 2010