I came up with this dish as I had some leftover zucchini and tomatoes.
This simple recipe uses store-bought pesto sauce (RM8.90 for mine) as I wanted to cook a quick and simple lunch. I used prawns for protein, but feel free to use any meat (or go meatless).
I also used whole-grain pasta, which has a more “bitey” feel and makes the dish look a bit like mee goreng mamak.
The result is a lovely, wholesome pasta dish with a bit of nuttiness and cheesiness from the pesto sauce, and zestiness and freshness from the tomatoes and zucchini.
Check out our Instagram account @thokohmakan for videos and step-by-step process.
Pesto pasta with prawns,zucchini and tomatoes [Recipe]Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
An easy pesto pasta recipe.
250g spaghetti (or any pasta of your choice)
90-100g readymade pesto sauce
30g fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 medium zuchini, chopped
7-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
4-6 prawns, shelled and deveined
Parmesan cheese, grated (for garnishing)
- Heat pan with olive oil at medium-high heat. Cook the prawns until cooked and set aside.
- With the same pan, add oil if needed and saute the onion, garlic and zuchini for 3-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and let it cook until they break and liquid evaporates.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as per packet’s instructions. Once done, drain and toss with pasta sauce. This is to ensure the pasta is coated evenly with the pesto sauce .
- Once done, add pasta to the pan and mix thoroughly. You may add some pasta water if you like. Add the basil leaves and prawns. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Finish with grated parmesan cheese at the table.