Here’s our simple recipe to cook our special sambal ijo belacan (green chilli with shrimp paste).
This sambal uses only four main ingredients – green chillies, cili padi (bird’s eye chillies), shallots and belacan (shrimp paste) to create a chilli paste that is spicy, sweet and salty.
This sambal side dish can be prepared under 10 minutes, and is a wonderful accompaniment to dishes such as our Ayam Goreng Kunyit (find our recipe here).
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Check out our Instagram post here for more videos and step-by-step instructions.
* For more heat, do not remove the seeds for green chilies and cili padi.
* You can solely use red chillies as well, or use a combination of both.
Sambal ijo belacan [Recipe]Course: Sides
Our super easy sambal ijo belacan recipe can be cooked under 10 minutes.
3 green chillies, cut and seeds removed
2 cili padi, cut and seeds removed
3 shallots, cut
1/2 tsp of belacan
2 tsp sugar
1-2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat up a skillet without oil over medium heat. Add belacan and cook until fragrant.
- Using a pestle and mortar, roughly mash the belacan, green chillis, cili padi, shallots, sugar and salt.
- Heat up oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the ingredients from the pestle and mortar.
- Fry for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Remove. Taste and add salt, sugar, or oil if needed.
- For more heat, do not remove the seeds for green chilies and cili padi.
- You can solely use red chillies as well, or use a combination of both.