Here’s our simple recipe to cook our special sambal ijo belacan (green chilli with shrimp paste).
This sambal uses only four main ingredients – green chillies, cili padi (bird’s eye chillies), shallots and belacan (shrimp paste) to create a chilli paste that is spicy, sweet and salty.
This sambal side dish can be prepared under 10 minutes, and is a wonderful accompaniment to dishes such as our Ayam Goreng Kunyit (find our recipe here).
We took this inspiration from the Indonesian-styile sambal ijo (which we cooked for Ayam Pop and Dendeng Batokok) and added belacan paste for the added umami kick!
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
Check out our Instagram post here for more videos and step-by-step instructions.
* For more heat, do not remove the seeds for green chilies and cili padi.
* You can solely use red chillies as well, or use a combination of both.
Sambal ijo belacan [Recipe]Course: Sides
Our super easy sambal ijo belacan recipe can be cooked under 10 minutes.
3 green chillies, cut and seeds removed
2 cili padi, cut and seeds removed
3 shallots, cut
1/2 tsp of belacan
2 tsp sugar
1-2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat up a skillet without oil over medium heat. Add belacan and cook until fragrant.
- Using a pestle and mortar, roughly mash the belacan, green chillis, cili padi, shallots, sugar and salt.
- Heat up oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the ingredients from the pestle and mortar.
- Fry for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Remove. Taste and add salt, sugar, or oil if needed.
- For more heat, do not remove the seeds for green chilies and cili padi.
- You can solely use red chillies as well, or use a combination of both.
[…] served ours with our special and simple Sambal Ijo Belacan – which was prepared in under 10 […]