Here’s a lovely Taiwanese dish that’s easy to cook at home!
So why is it called Three-Cup Chicken 三杯鸡 (or as we love to say it irreverently in mixed Cantonese – sam kap kai)?
Well, the recipe originally calls for three equal portions of main ingredients – sesame oil, soy sauce, and shaoxing wine. However, in real life – you can’t really use that measurement as it will be too oily and salty.
This is a super delicious dish. You get chicken cooked in fragrant sesame oil and soy sauce, with lovely accents coming from the ginger and basil leaves.
In a way, this dish reminds us of teriyaki chicken (see our recipe here) as the wine is used to reduce the sauce – resulting in glazed and slightly seared chicken.
It is then finished with fresh basil leaves, which give the dish its distinct aroma.
For our recipe, we like adding some dried chilies for a bit of heat. We also like using drummettes for the nice fat and meat ratio, but you may use any parts you like. While this dish is traditionally cooked and served in a claypot – it works well too with the regular wok or pan. Enjoy!
Check out our Instagram post here for more pictures and videos.
Three-Cup Chicken [Recipe]Course: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: Chinese, TaiwaneseDifficulty: Easy
A quick and delicious Taiwanese chicken dish to cook at home!
450g chicken drummettes
2 tbsp sesame oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled
2-inch ginger, sliced thinly
1 bunch of basil leaves
2 dried chillies, soaked with seeds removed and cut into two (optional)
1 scallion stalk (chopped for garnish)
- Chicken marinade
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp rock sugar
2 tbsp shaoxing wine
- Rub chicken with cornstarch and salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat up sesame oil in a wok or claypot. Saute garlic, ginger and dried chillies until fragrant.
- Add chicken and fry for about 1 minute until slightly brown.
- Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, shaoxing wine and rock sugar.
- Mix well. Cover with lid, lower heat and bring to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat until the sauce reduces. Coat chicken with sauce.
- Add the basil leaves. Turn off heat and garnish with scallion. Serve!