Here are our favourite cafes that we discovered in 2020.
To be fair, there were a lot of cafes that opened during the year – these are the ones that really impressed us in terms of ambience, food/drinks or service.
1. Lunabarcoffee, Penang – [Pork-free] Occupying a terrace house on the quiet street of Clove Hall, Lunabarcoffee is our favourite cafe in Penang. Sip coffee or matcha in the driveway amid lush greeneries. Check out our post here.
Address: 10d, Jalan Clove Hall, George Town, 10050 George Town,
Hours: 9am-6pm (Closed on Wednesdays)
2. Niko Neko Matcha 2.0, Chinatown – [Pork-free] Niko Neko’s second and newest outlet in the heart of Chinatown is more of art gallery than a traditional cafe. Love the matcha as well as the many matcha-based desserts served here. Check out our post here.
Address: 181, Jalan Tun H S Lee, City Centre, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Hours: 11am-5.30pm Daily (Closed on Mondays)
Phone: 019-213 6456
3. Curio Coffee, off Jalan Ipoh – [Pork-free] A newly-minted cafe off Jalan Ipoh, Curio is a small, cozy cafe with a countertop that reminds me of kuih talam (Mmm… kuih). We love the space – bright with limited space for quiet conversations with friends over cuppa. The owners are friendly with freshly-roasted beans and dessert available as well. Check out our post here.
Address: Rivercity, Lot 468, G26-A Block G Rivercity Roof Top, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, 51200 Kuala Lumpur
Hours: 9am-6.30pm daily (Closed on Mondays)
Phone: 012-290 2302
4. Dou Dou Bake, Petaling Jaya – [Pork-free] Nothing to see here expect for the best croissant you can find in Klang Valley, and the most forward-looking bakery space ever. No wonder it is one of the hottest new cafes in 2020. See our post here.
Address: 38, Jalan SS 4c/5, Taman Rasa Sayang, 47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Hours: 7.30am-11pm Daily
Phone: 011-6963 5817
5. Yue Coffee, Cheras – [Non-halal] Yue Coffee is one of the most charming cafes we’ve been. An old Chinese New Village home that’s converted into a drinking hole with bright open windows and rustic wooden furnishes. Coffee’s good too and they serve beer and beer food (yes to siew yoke!). See our post here.
Address: 114, Jalan 15, Batu 11 Cheras, 43200 Cheras, Selangor
Hours: 8am-6pm daily (Closed on Tuesdays)
6. Apartment Coffee, Singapore – [Pork-free] Love this café on Lavender Street. The space is bright with lovely minimal Scandi furniture. We enjoyed the pour-over, as well as the hot chocolate here. Check out our post here and here.
Address: 161 Lavender St, #01-12, Singapore 338750
Hours: 10am-6pm daily