We had lucheon meat, so we made this really simple luncheon meat fried beehoon (rice vercimelli).
This is such an easy recipe for lazy days and you can cook a big batch to eat for breakfast and lunch (and dinner!).
I didn’t use a lot seasoning for this because the luncheon meat and fried fish cake are already salty. So please season to taste and adjust accordingly. I also fried the omelette separately before we cooked the noodles.
You will find a lot of stalls selling this for breakfast in Malaysia – but you can eat it anytime of the day.
Luncheon meat fried beehoon [Recipe]Course: Anytime, Breakfast, LunchCuisine: Chinese, MalaysianDifficulty: Easy
Malaysian-style fried beehoon with luncheon meat that’s easy to cook.
150 grams bee hoon (rice vermicelli)
90 grams luncheon meat, cut into small cubes
1 bulb garlic, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
1-2 stalks of choy sum (or any leafy greens)
2 fish cakes, sliced
1 stalk of spring onion, chopped
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine (optional)
1 tbsp sesame oil
Salt & pepper to taste
2 eggs, fried into omelette style, thinly-sliced
Spring onion, chopped
- Cook omelette
- Beat two eggs in a bowl and season with salt/soy sauce. Heat oil in pan and fry eggs into a omellete. Make sure it is flat. Once done, cut into 1/2 inch slices and set aside.
- Prepare beehoon
- Soak the dried beehoon according to packet’s instructions. Drain and set aside.
- It’s fry time!
- Heat oil in pan and fry garlic and shallots until fragrant. Add luncheon meat and fish cakes.
- When luncheon meat is slighlty charred , add the beehoon into the pan. Add seasoning and mix well (as the luncheon meat and fish cakes are already salty – please season to taste).
- Add the leafy vegetables and fry untul it is cooked. Add the spring onions as well.
- Serve with the sliced omelette on top and garnish with spring onion. Enjoy!
- You can swap luncheon meat with slices of pork or chicken.
- Always season to taste – as saltiness differs for different soy sauce and luncheon meat brands.